Turtle Power

Friday, April 21, 2006

Volunteers of America

Throughout my life, I have always been very interested in and enjoyed volunteering. In college, I participated in various walks (AIDS, breast cancer, etc.), volunteered at a children's hospital, helped raise money for charity, etc. But this week, I am going to enjoy the best possible volunteerism. Thank to my good friend Heather, I have been introduced to the benefits of volunteering for the Boston Independent Film Festival. The benefits of volunteering include a free t-shirt, and free entrance to any of the movies playing during the week-long festival. All for volunteering for 1 or 2 six and a half hours shift.

Last night, my free entrance ticket was to "Loud Quiet Loud: A Film About the Pixies." The documentary chronicled the Pixies reunion tour that started in 2004. Although the film was nothing earth-shattering, and was basic rock documentary fare, it was still quite enjoyable. Having been a big fan of the Pixies since I was a youngin (thanks to Listmaker), but not really knowing much about them, I learned quite a bit. Such as:

Frank Black is a dick.
Frank Black likes to have his shirt off a lot.
Kim Deal formed the Breeders. (I can not believe I did not know that.)
Kim Deal seems like a very depressed woman.
David Lovering (the drummer) is insane.
Joey Santiago is the most normal of the group.
The band does not like to communicate or talk to each other. (Example: In 1992, Frank Black did a radio interview where he announced that the band was breaking up, but failed to inform the rest of the band of this.)

I am now on a Pixies kick. Hopefully, I will be able to see for free some of the other films that will be playing the IFF Boston this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home