Turtle Power

Monday, April 03, 2006

Massholes

I moved to Massachusetts in August. I had spent the majority of my driving years in Maryland and Delaware, and now I realize how spoiled I was. Sure, there were always the jerky drivers who did not use their turn signals (one of my biggest pet peeves), but I learned to live with it.

My first month in Massachusetts was spent living in Worcester. Almost immediately, I was struck by what jerks people were when they were driving. Not putting on a turn signal was just the beginning! Cars would constantly cut me off, turn left when they did not have enough time, and were generally awful. I was complaining to Allie about this to which her reply was "Yea...that is why people call them Massholes."

Once I got to Boston, it was no different. The drivers up here continue to be among the rudest and worst I have ever encountered. And its not just the drivers! Pedestrians are jerks too. They will slyly and slowly jaywalk across the street without looking. I honked once, and the dumb teenage girl cursed at me and hit my car.

I have talked to some native Massachusettsians about this. Apparently, the only way to solve my frustration level is to become a Masshole like them. But, I do not think I want to stoop to that level. I will continue to try to be as courteous a driver as possible, and will always use my turn signals.

In health news: I am now completely better after 5 days of feeling like complete crap. Thank you to everyone who asked how I was doing, and to my brother for calming me down over the phone during the worst of it.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home