Turtle Power

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Ugh

I have been sick for a week. I knew I would get sick. Half of the people in my department were sick, so I knew I would be next. It started out as a cold, and it is pure evil. Me and a co-worker are still sick. I went to the doctor today, and lo and behold it has become a sinus infection, my first ever. It is awful.

The point of sharing all this is because I want to bitch. I don't have a mommy or an Allie nearby to complain to (although Heather has been taking the brunt of my whining.) I want to bitch because I always seem to get sick at the worst times. I usually get sick when there is something that I was looking forward to. The last major time was at the end of freshman year. To celebrate the end of the first year of college, me, Allie, Melissa, Joy, and Justin planned a trip to Ocean City, MD. The last week of school was very stressful with finals exams and papers stressing me out. Although the stress was huge, the Ocean City trip to look forward to got me by, and I even ended up with good grades. The day we drove to Ocean City I got very sick with a fever. While medicine enabled me to still have a good time, I was still quite upset during the trip. Why did I have to get sick during a time I was looking forward to so much?

Last week I was supposed to go down to NYC to see Youthlarge and Listmaker, and to see Huey Lewis in "Chicago." But of course I got sick. So the play was rescheduled to this weekend. Although I have seen Chicago on Broadway before (in 1999 with Alan Thicke playing the role that Huey will be playing in this go-round), it is tough to not be excited about a chance to see Huey. But being sick is diminishing my excitement. Let's just hope the antibiotics will make me better very soon so I can enjoy Huey in all his glory.

Speaking of Huey....why am I so excited to see him? Hearing and seeing Huey is my ultimate nostalgic trip. My dear brother Listmaker was a huge fan when he was a young teen, and forced his poor sister to listen to him as a toddler. There is a tape of me when I was 2 1/2 where I fill in the blank to Huey lyrics that Listmaker recited. I have loved Huey ever since then. After seeing him in concert twice (once with poor Youthlarge who does not share the love for Huey), seeing him in Chicago will be great.

Sorry for the rambling post. I believe that the sinus infection has spread to the brain.

19 Comments:

  • alan thicke? that's hot!

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 1/11/2006 4:15 PM  

  • Poor Damy!! I hope you feel better in time to go to New York! As we all know, I owe you my life, because you helped me navigate the confusing and oddly-named streets of London to find the clinic when I had strep or tonsilitis for the first time ever(which one it was, we'll never know), with no mommy around to listen to me try to whine. Thoughts of Huey Lewis will make you feel better!! And if you're in a sadistic mood you can think of sitting between me and Adam during Shockheaded Peter. That should make your sinus infection feel less severe. FEEL BETTER!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/11/2006 5:04 PM  

  • Heads up, Huey will not be in the performances of Chicago on the 12th and 13th. He will be there the 14th and 15th though, but then his run ends.

    http://hln.org/

    Have fun!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/12/2006 4:40 PM  

  • we're planning in going the 15th but i'm a little disappointed in huey. come on, taking 2 days off when your run is about to end! that's jive.

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 1/12/2006 5:26 PM  

  • As I understand it, it's due to a prior commitment with the News. They play a lot of private shows, and I think this was in the works before he took the Chicago role.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/12/2006 5:48 PM  

  • anonymous,

    are you huey's manager?

    if so, how much will it cost to rent him for my 33rd bday bash in february?

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 1/13/2006 4:35 PM  

  • Nope, I'm not his manager. (But after ascertaining that neither of you seem like axe-murderers, or at least if you are axe-murderers, that you are axe-murderers with excellent musical taste, I've decided to unmask myself.)

    But I have heard that getting them for private gigs costs upwards of $200k.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2006 4:43 PM  

  • cathy,

    what the?

    looking through your blog, it looks like you know huey! oh my! what's he doing this weekend after the shows? he needs to hang out with us!

    i've got to get closer to meeting huey than merely this -http://listmaker.blogspot.com/2005/12/zubby.html

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 1/13/2006 7:05 PM  

  • He's been very generous about signing autographs after the Chicago shows, but since it's his final night it might be more of a zoo than usual.

    (And yeah, Huey and I are acquainted, but it's not like we're best buds or anything.)

    It may interest you to know that there are strong rumors of a concert tour this summer. Rumor has it that at least some of those dates will be a double-bill with the rock band Chicago. (And rumor also has it that one of those dates will be IN Chicago, just to add a further level of absurdity to the situation.)

    You should check out that hln.org website to keep up on these things (as opposed to counting on random commenters on your sister's blog...)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2006 7:49 PM  

  • who cares about autographs? i want to knock back a few beers and talk baseball. oh well.

    >You should check out that hln.org website to keep up on these things (as opposed to counting on random commenters on your sister's blog...)

    good idea, i wouldn't have missed him on the daily show if i was paying attention. but random commenters on my sister's blog is so much more fun.

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 1/14/2006 12:20 PM  

  • Definitely random. Hence the "axe-murderer" comment. Which it suddenly dawns on me I should perhaps explain...

    I had stumbled upon the blog due to a websearch that brought me to this post. Seeing it, I decided it was somehow my duty as a concerned HLN fan to post the caveat about his performance schedule, but because time seemed of the essence I did this before I had a chance to check out the blog and ensure that no one involved was an axe-murderering weirdo before I revealed myself. Having now satisfied myself that axe-murderers probably don't play bocce, I decided it was ok to comment as me.

    I, uh, hope I'm not wrong on that point...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/14/2006 12:39 PM  

  • Actually Cathy, Listmaker and I are really axe-murderers, so you were wrong on that count. Plus, apparently I live near you, so watch out. Do you think axe-murderers blog and have obsessions with Huey Lewis?
    How are you an aquaintance of Huey?
    Last night Listmaker and I saw a stand-up comedian who made a reference to Huey. We were both very appreciative of the comment.

    By Blogger Turtle Power, at 1/14/2006 12:56 PM  

  • > Actually Cathy, Listmaker and I are really axe-murderers, so you were wrong on that count.

    Damn. Well, as long as you don't intend to murder *me* with an axe, I guess I can let it slide.

    > Do you think axe-murderers blog and have obsessions with Huey Lewis?

    Actually, wasn't that the premise behind American Psycho?

    > How are you an aquaintance of Huey?

    Through his pattern-matching skills.

    Well, kinda. The extremely summarized version is that I've been a fan for a long time, but since 2003 I've been showing up at concerts with a particular frequency. As a result he's figured out who I am.

    > Last night Listmaker and I saw a stand-up comedian who made a reference to Huey. We were both very appreciative of the comment.

    I gather it wasn't a Huey-dis?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/14/2006 3:32 PM  

  • >Actually, wasn't that the premise behind American Psycho?

    Good point. What did Huey think of that scene?

    > Last night Listmaker and I saw a stand-up comedian who made a reference to Huey. We were both very appreciative of the comment.

    >I gather it wasn't a Huey-dis?

    No, sort of a random joke.

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 1/14/2006 10:14 PM  

  • Re: American Psycho, Huey's on the record as being fine with it.

    He talks about it on this interview.

    (The American Psycho part is about 11:15 into it.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/15/2006 10:19 AM  

  • And while you all obsess about Huey minutae, Turtle Power herself remains prostrate and feverish- heroically raising herself on one elbow to claim to be an axe murderer only to slump back delirious into her world of bifurcated phlegm. For shame, for shame.

    By Blogger Wisdom Weasel, at 1/16/2006 11:22 AM  

  • Haha! Finally, someone else who actually noticed that our dear turtlepower's blog was about being sick, and that Huey Lewis was a mere sidenote!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/16/2006 8:37 PM  

  • forget turtle power. check my blog for my huey thoughts!

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 1/16/2006 8:57 PM  

  • But surely Huey had a restorative effect on Turtle Power! I merely jumped in to comment so that she wouldn't accidentally miss out on the full effect of Huey's curative power.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/16/2006 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home