Turtle Power

Sunday, December 18, 2005

The tale of the amazing traveling hat

About two months ago I bought a winter hat, which can be seen here. So what? Well, to put it simply, I love this hat.

Normally, I would not have bought this hat. I had first seen it at the North Face store on Newbury St. It was $25, not that much for a winter hat from North Face, but more than I wanted to spend. About a week later, I got my first incentive check from work. Incentives checks are monthly bonuses which customer service receives for various reasons. The checks vary monthly by how many phone calls we answer individually, how many leads we do, how many price quotes are written, how many e-mails are answered, etc.

After receiving this first check, I figured the perfect way to spend some of it was to get this hat I yearned for. Since buying the hat, I have received many compliments, it has kept my head warm, and it has overall treated me very well.

However, I can not say the same thing for how I have treated my beloved. I have dropped the hat in a store, to luckily find it later. I left the hat on a shelf in the library to thankfully find that a librarian had left it at the book check-out. But yesterday, I almost lost my hat for good.

I met my friend Suzy in Boston for a matinee. We had dinner together, then parted ways. To get back to my apartment, I had to take two buses home. I boarded the first bus, the 93 to Sullivan Station. When I first got on the bus, the extreme heat inside felt good compared to the frigid outside. But soon, I realized that my hat was no longer needed for the bus ride. I took it off, to put on my lap, instead of putting it in my purse which would have been the smart thing.

Upon arriving at Sullivan, I had forgotten about my hat, after all it has done for me. It must have fallen off my lap when I got off the bus. The minute I stepped outside, and my head was cold, I realized my mistake. I wanted to cry. I called the MBTA, but they were closed for the night, and they probably could not do anything anyway.

The 101 bus to my street was not coming for another 40 minutes. I stood there in the cold, without my hat to keep me warm feeling very sad. About five minutes before my bus was scheduled to arrive, a bus pulled into the platform. It was a different line than I had taken to get to the station, but the same bus driver! I ran up to the bus, and the bus driver reluctantly let me on the bus to see if my hat was still there. And there it was, on the floor, my beautiful hat smiling up at me!

I exited the bus feeling happier than I have in a long time. I know it is somewhat pathetic to love this hat so much, but who cares. I will henceforth (try) to never let that hat out of my sight again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home