Turtle Power

Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Somewhat Simple Plan

For the past month, I have been doing Public Affairs stuff for a plant biology non-profit. This is my last week, and I am currently extremely bored. So, what better time to write in my defunct blog...to update you on what I have been thinking of for a career.

For the past couple of months, I have been thinking of Occupational Therapy. I had thought of Physical and Occupational Therapy in high school, but was turned off by the science that was involved. However now, I feel that if I am sure about the job enough, then I will work hard enough in the science classes to do well. I think it would be a good job for me because it would be helping people, creative, not a desk job, decently payed.

So how do I get there? Occupational Therapy requires a Master's in OT. Before I can apply to grad schools, I need to take two semesters of Anatomy& Physiology, and maybe a lifespan Psych class. I also need to take the GRE's, and volunteer/work experiences in two different sectors of OT.

I have signed up to volunteer in the OT Department at a local hospital once a week. This summer, I have lined up a job working at a camp that features OT, working mostly with autistic children. Last week, I worked at their spring break camp, and while it was exhausting, I enjoyed it.

I am looking at grad schools in Philly, Towson, and a few other cities. Although I don't want to stay in Maryland, the Towson program looks good for the in-state tuition, and the option of doing your six months of fieldwork abroad.

In the meantime, I will hopefully continue to work with the non-profit staffing agency before and after the summer, volunteer, take classes, take the GRE. Jess and I still talk of traveling all the time, but hopefully we will push ourselves into going somewhere in the fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home