Turtle Power

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Hair Hair, Go Away

I have always had bushy eyebrows, which apparently runs in the family. When I was 17, I finally started getting them waxed, having been too afraid of the pain to get them done before. I was happily surprised that the pain was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. Since then, for the price of $8-10, I have gotten my eyebrows waxed about once a month. I leave with my eyebrow area a little red, but it is well worth not having bushy eyebrows.

But lately, I have noticed a trend at the various nail salons I go to get them waxed. I go in and tell them I need my eyebrows waxed. They take me back to the waxing room and in the process of waxing my eyebrows, they will always try to upsell me. The exchange will usually go something like this:

Woman Doing the Waxing: You want your nails done too?
Me: No, just the eyebrows today.
Woman Doing the Waxing: You want your lip waxed?
Me: Nope, I'm still good with just the eyebrows.
Woman Doing the Waxing: You want a bikini wax?
Me: Um...that's okay.

Now, I dread going to get waxed because I then leave feeling worse about myself. I have to keep telling them no, plus, they apparently think I need all these beauty services. But, unfortunetly, my eyebrows have no choice, unless I want to go back to looking like the female version of Bert.

13 Comments:

  • this reminds me, i need my eyebrows waxed! :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/13/2007 3:44 PM  

  • sucky sucky five dolla?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2007 3:05 PM  

  • What's with the wax pressure?
    See, that's why I don't go into places like that!

    By Blogger Maestra, at 3/14/2007 3:29 PM  

  • I go through the same thing at the laser place. But the difference there is they charge $600-$1000 per treatment. Do they honestly thing I'm going to jump on that? I was stupid enough to do the first one!! I hate going in there now too, but it's already paid for-I wish they would leave us poor women alone.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2007 5:41 PM  

  • Yeah I hate when they do that! I had a really good experience last time I went (last week or so). I go about every week to get a manicure (it's $6... sometimes living in NY is soooo great!) The girl was so nice and didn't ask about anything else and she did a good job. But I have experienced the upsell thing in the past. No I do not want anything else waxed! PS. I do still read your blog and enjoy it! Keep posting :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/16/2007 11:01 AM  

  • Oh and I forgot, at the place where I get my nails done, it's only $7 for eyebrow waxing. There's this other place that only charges $5, but it was sooo crowded and I'm kinda scared because it's so cheap!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/16/2007 11:02 AM  

  • PILLOWMAN!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/30/2007 1:13 PM  

  • They once offerd to wax my head and then polish the resulting bald spot for the all in price of $50. Then they wanted to sell me plugs.

    By Blogger Wisdom Weasel, at 4/02/2007 3:17 PM  

  • RIGHT SOMETHING NEW SO I HAVE SOMETHING TO READ WHILE I'M AT WORK!!!!!!



    NOW!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/04/2007 2:41 AM  

  • I second Jess's motion.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/04/2007 11:49 AM  

  • Aaaaaaaaaamy, where are you? ;) Come back soon please.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/09/2007 9:32 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger youthlarge, at 5/07/2007 5:02 PM  

  • kristen your first comment is incredibly obnoxious and lame on so many levels.

    By Blogger youthlarge, at 5/07/2007 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home