Turtle Power

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day with my iPod and roommate

Valentine's Day. For the single gals, just a day like any other. On the way to work this morning, I was listening to my iPod like any other day. The songs that played on my way to work on the shuffle feature were all suspiciously nostalgic. I can only attribute these song selections to being played strictly for Valentine's Day.

Song 1: "Amie" by Pure Prairie League
This song never fails to make me misty eyed. Yea, I know that Amie is not how I spell my name, but it is still my song. I would constantly beg my dad to play this for me as a little kid. I used to think that the lyrics were "I could play with you" instead of "I could stay with you." Now, whenever I hear it, I think about being a kid, the excitement of hearing it, and listening to it with my parents.

Song 2: "Allison" by Elvis Costello
This song is not very nostalgic for me personally, but it is my roommate's name, so is therefore personal for me in turn.

Song 3: "The Last Date" by Floyd Cramer
This is the song that my brother walked down the aisle to at his wedding. It puts a smile to my face because it reminds me of the wedding, and how I felt seeing my older brother walking down the aisle and feeling so happy for him.

Song 4: "Death in the Park" by Archers of Loaf
This is one of my favorite Archers songs. Vee Vee came out when I was in 7th grade. 7th grade was not the best year for me, and I remember being really bitter towards some of my fellow stupid classmates. I would listen to Vee Vee on tape every morning on the bus on the way to dreaded school, and thought that I listened to such better music than my fellow classmates. While 7th grade is not a fun time to reflect on, Archers of Loaf then and now still puts me in a good mood.

By this point I had arrived at work happy that my Valentines Day ride had provided me with such nostalgic songs. For Valentine's Day, I gave silly Ninja Turtles cards to my co-workers. I am celebrating tonight by having dinner with my roommate while watching TV together. What a great Valentine's Day.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home