Turtle Power

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Just Another Day in the Neighborhood

Last night, in my seemingly tranquil neighborhood, my house was happy as can be. My dad was in bed, my mom was watching Law and Order, and I was watching YouTube. Around 10, my mom and I found it a little strange that there was a low-flying helicopter with spotlights repeatedly circling the skies. Unusual, yes, but nothing we hadn't seen before.

But, one helicopter grew to two, and kept getting closer to our house and louder.

My mom decided to look outside. Not only were there helicopters, but a number of people in the woods behind our house with flashlights.

We may have been overreacting, but we decided to call the police to see what was going on. Oh yes, the dispatcher told me, there is indeed something going on. "Are all your doors locked?", she asked. Apparently, there was an armed robbery at a gas station about 10 minutes from our house, and the helicopters and people in the woods were cops. There were two suspects, one was in custody, the other one was thought to be near our house. She told me if we see anyone on foot who is not a policeman, call the cops.

Right. The only thing that I was going to call was my bed.

This morning, it was reported that two cops were injured near my neighborhood, chasing a drunk driver. But, this happened at 1:30 in the morning, hours after the helicopters and cops were circling my neighborhood on foot. But, I find it hard to believe the two were not related. They would not have had such a high-powered search if cops had not been involved.

Whatever the cause, I am damn sure locking all the doors tonight.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home