Turtle Power

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I guess I should be happy...

Almost two years after the death of my high school friend, Linda, her murderer was finally brought to justice. Today, Donta Allen, the man accused of the crime, pleaded guilty on what was supposed to be the first day of his trial. He will be sentenced in January, and is expected to receive life in prison with the possibility of parole.

I am not sure how I feel about this. According to the article in the Baltimore Sun, Linda's parents were accepting of Allen's guilty plea, which I am thankful for. I do not really have a strong opinion on the death penalty, however I think that in this case, that was what I was expecting Allen's outcome to be. With his guilty plea, there is the possibility that he could get out on parole one day, and he deserves life in prison without the possibility of parole.

After the police made an arrest in the case in March of 2005, Linda's father said that he was happy they had made an arrest, but that did not bring his daughter back. Today, that is how I am feeling. I am happy that there is now some sort of resolution, but it does not change the fact that Linda's life was ended tragically at the age of 21.

Linda is still on my mind all the time, and I think she always will be. I can only hope that today, her parents really are satisfied with Allen's guilty plea, and it will bring some small bit of closure to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home