Turtle Power

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

More from the middle of Kansas!

During our scenic byway off of 70, we happened upon Mushroom Rock State Park, a national park that is exactly as it sounds: rocks that look like mushrooms!



Then, more driving




Somewhere in Kansas, we stopped at a grocery store. As we were leaving, an older guy in an old truck wearing a cowboy hat was turning into the grocery store. As he was turning, he smiled, and tipped his hat at us. Love it.

It was getting late, so we attempted to find a motel in Oakley, KS. Apparently, Oakley is hopping at this time of year, as all the motels we passed had no vacancies. Finally, we found a motel called the Free Breakfast Inn, around midnight. The office decor reminded me of the scene in Harold and Kumar in Freak Show's house The room's decor had not been changed since the 60's. I kept picturing the Bates Motel, and Norman peeking in at us through a hole in the wall. However, the next morning, in the light of day, the place did not seem nearly as scary.

And, we got free breakfast! Breakfast was served at a steakhouse across the highway.

They frown upon people driving like hell.


Next blog: The last of Kansas-Monument Rocks

2 Comments:

  • Spots on my turtle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/19/2007 11:48 AM  

  • I stayed in the Free Breakfast Inn back in 2004. I randomly thought of it and Googled it, then I found your blog post. If I were a filmmaker and needed a place to shoot a horror film, I'd definitely go back there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/18/2007 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home