Turtle Power

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Crank Yankers


Ah, the classic prank phone call. I do not know what I will be like when I'm older, but now, I still find prank phone calls extremely funny. Yesterday was a very slow day at work. As it was Columbus Day, most schools were off for the day, so very few phone calls came in. Late in the afternoon, these kids kept calling in. From what I gather, their mother must have owned one of our programs, and got our number off of one of the CD's. These kids were oh so clever and sneaky. They could not get through one sentence without cracking up.

I suppose the point of crank calls is to make the receiver mad. I was far from mad because they were entertaining me in their amateur crank calling ways. At 5:30, it was time for me to leave for the day, leaving a male coworker by himself until 7 to answer calls. He was not putting up with their bullshit. It was all fun and games for him when they called, and asked for me by name. But once I was leaving, they called again. He answers "Boston Police Department.", and they hang up.
1 minute later.
Coworker: "...Productions", this call is being recorded by the Boston Police Department.
Kid: Uhhh....
Coworker: Hey kid, the police are going to be at your house in 10 minutes.
Kid: What?! I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Do you want to talk to my mom?
Coworker: It's too late for sorry's, you should of thought of that before. The police will be at your house in ten minutes, and will be taking you to jail.
Kid: Makes various freaking out sounds.

Alas, in this day and age, prank phone calls are just too hard to make with so many people having caller ID. But with shows like "Crank Yankers", which is admittedly hit or miss, the magic of crank phone calls can live on. Those kids should watch that show for some pointers.

5 Comments:

  • Children are funny in that annoying kind of way, huh? DAMY!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 3:25 PM  

  • i remember employing you as a three year-old in some of my prank calls. caller id has ruined the current generation's creativity and motivation. it isn't violent video games and gangsta rap, but the lack of good prank call opportunities that is destroying our country.

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 10/11/2005 5:58 PM  

  • I wish I remembered these prank calls. Do you remember what you employed me to do? I feel like Bush should be blamed for the lack of good crank call oppurtunities. First global warming, now this...

    By Blogger Turtle Power, at 10/11/2005 6:52 PM  

  • i don't remember exactly but you were part of them. i might have one of them on tape. we used to record them.

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 10/11/2005 7:15 PM  

  • amyelainey, prank calls are funny at any age. as are poop and fart jokes. they never get old. but then again, i might just be super immature.

    By Blogger youthlarge, at 10/11/2005 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home