Turtle Power

Monday, October 10, 2005

Turtle in a half shell: Turtle power!


I have been debating it for months: do I really want to start a blog? If anyone knows me at all, they will know that I am ridiculous when it comes to making decisions. But, as you can see, I have finally made a decision to start one.

Part of the reason that I did not want to start a blog was wondering what the hell my name would be. I decided on Turtle Power because of the classic show "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." If you are unfamiliar with the show, movies, or comic books, the story centers around a gang of mutant ninja turtles, each named after a various Renaissance artist, Leonardo, Michaelangeo, etc. I had the good fortune of having a last name that coincided with one of these turtles. In elementary school, I got teased on many occasions for my last name, and constantly was called a Ninja Turtle. I would come home and cry after school to my day care mother about the kids teasing me, and her advice was to tell them it was cool to have that name. At the time, I thought she was crazy. Now looking back on it, I realize that I really do have a cool last name. In college, some friends would call me Turtle. On my first day at work, they had made a "Welcome Amy" sign for me, with Raphael, the Ninja turtle on it. At 22, I have embraced the silly connotations that my last name brings, and in doing so have named my blog after the famed Ninjas. Turtle Power!

10 Comments:

  • i'm so excited that you have a blog. be prepared for weasel to start harassing you.

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 10/11/2005 5:59 PM  

  • Bring it on Weasel!

    By Blogger Turtle Power, at 10/11/2005 6:54 PM  

  • How can I resist? The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a classic already? Jesus, Listo, we are getting old.

    And "weasel to start harassing you"- what a way to treat the speed reading welcome wagon.

    By Blogger Wisdom Weasel, at 10/11/2005 8:37 PM  

  • we all love you weasel. relax baby.

    plus if you are on here, then bowles can't be far away and as far as i'm concerned, you don't really have a blog until bowles waxes poetic about some obscure story of his from '92.

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 10/11/2005 9:02 PM  

  • um, ignore that danny baseball thing. i'm working on a new baseball blog. nothing there yet.

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 10/11/2005 9:03 PM  

  • When can I expect Bowles and Weasel to start arguing on here about cricket, fish and chips, or some other sort of British shenanigans?

    By Blogger Turtle Power, at 10/11/2005 9:08 PM  

  • Turtle Amy, "Danny Baseball" makes me think of your brother in footie pjs drinking warm milk from a sippy cup.

    Fear not, I imagine Bowles with creak along soon. We British travel in packs, you know.

    By Blogger Wisdom Weasel, at 10/11/2005 9:11 PM  

  • i think you should have called your blog "axaphone" or "gary carter poops in his pants."

    By Blogger youthlarge, at 10/11/2005 10:43 PM  

  • you know, i think i have a problem with your blog name. our name is not pronounced like the painter/ ninja turtle. you should have named your blog after st. raphael church in rockville.

    By Blogger Listmaker, at 10/11/2005 10:59 PM  

  • Hahaha..."GaryCarterPoopsinhispants.blogspot.com" Perfect! Is it too late to change my name?

    By Blogger Turtle Power, at 10/12/2005 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home